Sender:infoN3
Date/Time:2001-Sep-23 15:33:37
Subject:remove

proj-imim: remove infoN3 2001-Sep-23 15:33:37
remove

Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 09:19:50 +0200
From: Helmut Dersch <#removed#>
Subject: Re: Help Getting Back Fisheye Images from Equirectangular Panos.

Roberto Gomez Torres schrieb:

> Hello list.
>
> Could you help me here ?
>
> I have some Equirectangular Panoramas that I need to get back as Fisheye
> images.
> But I can not create the two oposite Fisheye Images with an equivalente
185º
> field of view.
>
> Using the PanoTools Plug in for Adobe Photoshop I can create the images
> equivalent to 180º or lower.
>
> Can you show me how to create two exactly oposite Fisheye projections
> covering each 185º with PTStitches taking and equirectangular pano as the
> source file ?
>
> Hope it could be possible.

This can be done using the Panorama Tools plug-in:

- - Open your equirectangular panorama in Photoshop
- - Click Panorama Tools->adjust
- - Choose extract, use options
- - Set Preferences to options (b) and (c)
- - Set options to Panorama:PSphere, HFov:360;
  Image: Fisheye, HFov: 185, Width&Height
  as you wish.
- - Set yaw=0, pitch=0, roll=0
- - Click ok.
- - Cut a circle from the result image using standard
  Photoshop tools.
- - Repeat the same steps with yaw=180.

Btw: There is no 180° limit as some have suspected.
A 360*180° equirectangular image contains the
full spherical view, and hence any fov-image
can be extracted. Panorama Tools fetches all
required pixels from the right locations.

Regards

Helmut Dersch

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 17:40:37 +1000
From: Ben Kreunen <#removed#>

At 05:19 PM 09/20/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello list.
>
>Could you help me here ?
>
>I have some Equirectangular Panoramas that I need to get back as Fisheye
>images.
>But I can not create the two oposite Fisheye Images with an equivalente
185º
>field of view.

In Photoshop...

Filter > Panorama Tools > Adjust
Extract, Use Options
Prefs b,c,d

Image (Output)
HFOV 185° (or any other angle for that matter)
Fisheye Circle
Height and width to whatever you want (height=width)

Panorama (Source image)
HFOV 360°
psphere
Height and width to match source image

Yaw=0, repeat for yaw=180

The result you get will be a square image, not a circle, since it is
remapping from a 360°image. If you really want a circle, mask with a circle
the size of the image.

You should be able to create two scripts to do this as well (one for each
image).  Think through the options carefully (referring to the readme if
necessary) and you should be able to do it.

Cheers

Ben Kreunen
Imaging and IT Coordinator
Department of Pathology
http://www.path.unimelb.edu.au/~bernardk/
ph:  61 3 8344 5863
fax: 61 3 8344 4004

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 12:31:36 +0200
From: "jacek.gancarson" <#removed#>
Subject: PTCrypt

1.I have following problem with PTcrypt, jpc option:
Here is the original image:
http://www.eurofresh.se/giovanni/giovanni-s-small-l.jpg
Here is the hml file using the crypted file giovanni-s.jpc
http://www.eurofresh.se/giovanni/index1.htm
The pano does not start.
2. The decrypt applet does not decode jpc files, doesn't it?

regards
Jacek

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 20:50:30 +1000
From: Glenn Barry <#removed#>
Subject: Re: Compass Rose?

HI,

I constructed the nadir tripod covers in illustrator and then brought them
into
photoshop at the largest resolution necessary. I then resized the canvas to
the
same dimensions as my panorama, make sure that you flatten thje image at
this
point as I have found that transparency on the layers causes problems. I
then
used panorama tools to remap them from pitch = -90 degrees to  pitch = 0
degrees
which yeilds a line of the previously circular nadir image. Then you can
select
as much of the lower part of the image as necessary, invert the selection
and
delete. The you have a simple photoshop file that you can simply drag and
drop
onto your panoramas once al of the stitching and clenaing up of the seams is
finished. holding the shift key whilst dragging puts it in the same position
as
it was originally Given that the spread of my tripod legs varies I then move
it
down so that it merely covers the tripod and legs. Easy and eliminates the
need
to remap every image simply for the insertion of the nadir shot.

Glenn

- --
Infinity and Beyond!!

Buzz Lightyear

Glenn Barry Photography
2/13 Gerroa Avenue
Bayview
N.S.W. 2104
Australia
Ph (612) 9997 3431
Mobile 0415 279 366
E-Mail: mailto:#removed#
Web: http://www.acay.com.au/~glenn

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 20:50:30 +1000
From: Glenn Barry <#removed#>

Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 08:09:49 -0500
From: "R. Jackson" <#removed#>
Subject: Re: PTCrypt

Hi Jacek

It does not work here.

Did you create the JPC with this path?

http://www.eurofresh.se/giovanni/index1.htm

I just tested your code, unaltered, save for the name of the source file (I
used your JPG)
and all worked fine.

Rusty
_____________________________
R. Jackson
#removed#
http://www.terra360.com/

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 16:29:12 +0200
From: "Daniel Maurer" <#removed#>

I normally use PtEditor for this and I think this is much simpler than to
use the PS Plug-In. Simply open your flattened panorama as tif-file in
PtEditor, look down and go to edit extract. Afterwards retouch your nadir
image in PS and save it again as tif (don't use LZW in this moment). Then go
back to PtEditor and use the option insert->saved. On my machine sometimes
the image is not updated afterwards, but if you save it you will see that
your new image is inserted.

Bye Daniel

Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 16:42:58 +0200
From: "jacek.gancarson" <#removed#>

Hi Rusty,

After recrytpting of the image used by
http://www.eurofresh.se/giovanni/index.html all works fine.
The pano does not appears only if I request
http://www.eurofresh.se/giovanni/ instead of full path.
(It seems to work fine for the files crypted with jpa extention but not with
jpc extention).

Thanks to all  for the feedback.
regards
Jacek

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 09:50:24 -0500
From: "R. Jackson" <#removed#>

Hello again Jacek,

> After recrytpting of the image used by
> http://www.eurofresh.se/giovanni/index.html all works fine.

> The pano does not appears only if I request
> http://www.eurofresh.se/giovanni/ instead of full path.

yes, same here.... actually I have not tried it just encrypting without the
index.html
file, as above.

I suppose for the root directory index.html you would have to have two
versions then?

One for the default path and one for the default path with the index.html
file.... would
be logical I suppose.

Rusty
_____________________________
R. Jackson
#removed#
http://www.terra360.com/

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 17:17:38 +0200
From: Helmut Dersch <#removed#>
Subject: PTEditor 2.3: Visual Panorama Editor

Finally I have finished the new version of PTEditor
(Windows version only, others will follow).
which I had promised for some time now. It is
a true visual panorama editor allowing the user
to interactively assemble any type of source images
into a panorama.

Download from
<http://www.fh-furtwangen.de/~dersch/pted/pteditor.zip>
Documentation and tutorial at
<http://www.fh-furtwangen.de/~dersch/pted/pteditor.html>

Enjoy

Helmut Dersch

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 16:13:16 -0300
From: "Cameron Bales .:." <#removed#>
Subject: PTgui under virtual PC on Mac won't install.

I'm having problems installing the Panotools and PTgui under Virtual
PC 4 on the Mac.

both of the installers from the PTGui site "perform illegal
operations" so I can't even see anything.

here is a screen shot of the error:
http://www.tantramar.com/cameron/ptgui_installer_bug.gif

...further experimentation has gotten Panotools installed but I still
can't get PTgui going.

Other people use PTgui and virtual PC don't they?

	Cameron .:.
- --
Cameron Bales .:. Sackville, New Brunswick, Canada
work: (506)-364-1097 http://www.tantramar.com/
home: (506) 536-1585 http://i.am/cameronbales

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 17:25:48 -0300
From: Rodolpho Pajuaba <#removed#>
Subject: Re: PTgui under virtual PC on Mac won't install.

> I'm having problems installing the Panotools and PTgui under Virtual
> PC 4 on the Mac.
>
> both of the installers from the PTGui site "perform illegal
> operations" so I can't even see anything.
>
> here is a screen shot of the error:
> http://www.tantramar.com/cameron/ptgui_installer_bug.gif
>
> ...further experimentation has gotten Panotools installed but I still
> can't get PTgui going.
>
> Other people use PTgui and virtual PC don't they?
>
> Cameron .:.

I simply can't make PTGui run under VPC 4. The message I get, after load the
first image, is something like "The limit of files has exceeded" , or the
similar. I restart PTGui, and I can't even load the first image anymore, it
gives me the same message.
- --
Rodolpho Pajuaba
www.pajuaba.com.br

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 22:59:28 +0200
From: JM GUEUGNOT <#removed#>
Subject: Cubic with Fisheye Tutorial update...

Hello Everyone,

I update the Cubic with Coolpix 8mm Fisheye Tutorial at :

http://www.gueugnot.com/tutorial/

A few links were broken or wrong.
The link to Panotools was pointing to a limited FOV version (160°).
(Corrected now)

Sorry for those who had trouble following this tutorial because of this
errors. I still need feedback about it. Thanks to all

I was very surprised to receive tons of msg asking for the price of the VR
heads presented at :

http://www.gueugnot.com/tutorial/head.html
http://www.gueugnot.com/tutorial/d30head.html

Calm down guys... This is not a commercial product, this is only a prototype
we made for us to save stitching time !

If I have enough request I could take this project at its end and spend the
necessary time to find the right supplier & price.

For now, let me finish the full tutorial :-))

Main focus will be on setting up a full procedure that can be use to save
stitching and touching-up time. (like automatic stitching...)

€ shooting (tripod, head, bubble levelling, 1 or 2 locked exposure ?...)
€ creating a master script with PTGUI, (what is a script ?)
€ stitching with panotools,
€ patching up & down with Photoshop or Pteditor,
€ going down from cubic to cylindric if needed,
€ using makecubic,
€ publishing with Ptviewer

What else ?

Please drop me a line if you wish to see special topics developped.

Jean-Michel GUEUGNOT
#removed#

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 21:04:12 +0000
From: "Ed Husar" <#removed#>
Subject: Re: PTEditor 2.3: Visual Panorama Editor

Going over the tutorial I get to the following instructions:

"Notice that the Edit menu, which was greyed when the application started,
is now active. Open it and choose Load New Image. A file dialog comes up,
which you should use to load the file Image_01.jpg of the tutorials package.
Then the following window is displayed:
"
I do get the dialog box and select image Image_01.jpg and click Open but
nothing happens?

Anyone else try this part yet?

Ed
http://www.move360media.com

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 14:15:20 -0700
From: "John Spikowski" <#removed#>
Subject: PTEditor - 3 Fisheye Images

- ------=_NextPart_000_0023_01C142A7.D8B7CB60

Hi List,

Has anyone been able to figure out how to align 3 fisheye images in the new
PTEditor Helmut just released? I had to substitute PANO12.DLL from the 2.5a
release to allow > 160 degrees VFOV.

I'm not sure what values PTEditor is expecting or the sequence of events
needed.

Any help would be appreciated.

John

- ------=_NextPart_000_0023_01C142A7.D8B7CB60

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4616.200" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D988145420-21092001><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi=20
List,</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D988145420-21092001><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D988145420-21092001><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Has =
anyone been able=20
to figure out how to align 3 fisheye images in the new PTEditor Helmut =
just=20
released? I had to substitute PANO12.DLL from the 2.5a release to allow =
&gt; 160=20
degrees VFOV.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D988145420-21092001><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D988145420-21092001><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'm =
not sure what=20
values PTEditor is expecting or the sequence of events=20
needed.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D988145420-21092001><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D988145420-21092001><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Any =
help would be=20
appreciated.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D988145420-21092001><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D988145420-21092001><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>John</FONT></SPAN></DIV></BODY></HTML>

Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 15:42:44 -0600
From: "Gummy Bear" <#removed#>

> I do get the dialog box and select image Image_01.jpg and click Open but
> nothing happens?
>
> Anyone else try this part yet?

Yes, works great.

Sounds like the Java VM is running out of memory.

Use Sun JRE/JDK 1.3 if you're not already.

You could also try  increasing the memory allocation.

Gummy

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 15:13:17 -0700
From: "John Spikowski" <#removed#>

I had the same problem due to an old version of PANO12.DLL in my
WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 directory.

Anyone tried this with fisheye images yet?

John

Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 18:52:12 -0400
From: Johnny Deadman <#removed#>

on 9/21/01 4:25 PM, Rodolpho Pajuaba at #removed# wrote:

> I simply can't make PTGui run under VPC 4. The message I get, after load
the
> first image, is something like "The limit of files has exceeded"

you need to update your version of VPC. this is a bug with the way VPC
handles networked volumes, which is how shared mac files appear. The bug is
fixed in the latest version. I know, I had it, and now it's gone.

- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 18:52:41 -0400
From: Johnny Deadman <#removed#>

on 9/21/01 3:13 PM, Cameron Bales .:. at #removed# wrote:

> I'm having problems installing the Panotools and PTgui under Virtual
> PC 4 on the Mac.
>
> both of the installers from the PTGui site "perform illegal
> operations" so I can't even see anything.

I had exactly this problem under Windows ME running on VPC. I contacted the
author, who didn't know anything about it. He said it was an issue with the
installer, which he didn't write. In the end I solved it by installing it
under Windows 2000, which I also had running under VPC. The installers then
ran fine. It runs fine now under Win ME, and much faster than it would under
W2000 emulated.

A workaround for you might be if I copied my installation into a zip file
and sent it to you to place in your system manually.

- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 21:22:13 -0400
From: "Mike" <#removed#>
Subject: Sydney Opera House

- ------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C142E3.7B7DDCA0

PanoTools and Helmut are both credited in this website about the Sydney =
Opera House. It is a great site, IMHO.

http://www.soh.nsw.gov.au/files/virtual_tour/vrtour2.html=20

- ------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C142E3.7B7DDCA0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff background=3D""><FONT face=3D"Palatino Linotype" =
color=3D#000080=20
size=3D2>PanoTools and Helmut are both credited in this =
website&nbsp;about the=20
Sydney Opera House. It is a great site, IMHO.<BR><BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.soh.nsw.gov.au/files/virtual_tour/vrtour2.html">http:/=
/www.soh.nsw.gov.au/files/virtual_tour/vrtour2.html</A></FONT>=20
</BODY></HTML>

Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 10:05:40 +0200
From: Helmut Dersch <#removed#>
Subject: Re: not existing image

Mike schrieb:

> Maybe its just a coincidence but my panos have been giving me the same red
> screen or a plain grey screen that does nothing. When I would run the
cursor
> over it, an error message saying 'unable to find ptviewer.jar'. These
> started happening right after installing PTViewer 2.3 so I deleted all the
> viewer files and reloaded version 2.2 and they work. From my countless
dumb
> posts many of you have had to put up with, you know I'm a virgin JAVA user
> so I won't say there's a bug. But, there is something going on because I
> just copy the files over from a previous folder and changing the names &
> numbers. Its always worked flawlessly for over a year - until now. Another
> thing I noticed while trying to figure out what was happening is I found
the
> file PTPROPERTIES (no extension) associated with some panos and
nonexistant
> in the newer ones. Its just a text file with these contents:
>
> com.apple.mrj.application.main = ptvjapp
> com.apple.mrj.application.classpath = $VFS/ptviewer.jar
> com.apple.mrj.application.growbox.intrudes = true
> com.apple.mrj.application.gc.max  = 64000000
>
> One thought I have is that I've gotten Windows and Mac versions of the
> ptviewer .jar and class files mixed together and this is whats going on.
If
> this is the problem, any suggestions for removing the wrong ones? I'm
> running WIN2000 and IE6.

Mike,

ptproperties is a file used for building the Mac standalone viewer.
It is not required on PCs or for the applet-viewers.
I suggest to reinstall ptviewer from my download page.

Regards

Helmut Dersch

End of proj-imim-digest V1 #384