Sender:John Houghton
Date/Time:2007-Aug-18 09:49:33
Subject:Re: Forcing verticals to stay vertical in PTGui -- How?

PanoTools NG: Re: Forcing verticals to stay vertical in PTGui -- How? John Houghton 2007-Aug-18 09:49:33
--- In #removed#, Scott Witte <scottwitte@...> wrote:

> Is there a way in PTGui to force verticals to be exactly vertical and
> stay that way, warping everything else to fit?

The short answer is no.  You need to calibrate your lens by evaluating
lens parameters in ideal conditions.  Use these parameters in your
project and place control points only on features far away, so that
parallax effects are avoided. Images can then be aligned to give a flat
horizon and the verticals should be vertical or near vertical.
Features (relatively) near to the camera will inevitably exhibit
parallax errors so there will be stitching errors.  There are two
possibilites for correcting these:  manually in Photoshop, or use the
morphing feature in PTStitcher, which drags the points marked for
morphing into exact alignment by distorting the images.  I have used a
combination of these two methods, but it takes a lot of work to get a
really good result.  Of course, a lot depends on how severe the
parallax errors are.

John