Sender:John Spikowski
Date/Time:2005-Mar-12 08:33:32
Subject:RE: RE: Mailing List Migration

PanoTools: RE: RE: Mailing List Migration John Spikowski 2005-Mar-12 08:33:32
Let me summarize my postings on this subject. The following are the reasons
as a moderator and someone interested in taking the momentum of the group to
the next level, why I would like to leave Yahoo Groups.

1. To keep the list from being invaded from spammers (a Yahoo trait), it
takes a lot of my time to approve members that are truly interested in the
subject matter. I would say that only 60% of the new members that apply
complete the signup process. (spammers, spam filters that don't like mailing
lists so they never get my requests for verification, ...)

2. There is no support other then a FAQ of possible solutions to your
problems. They state in their online help that direct contact is something
they are thinking of in the future. If the list ever gets deleted by mistake
by Yahoo (heard this happen a couple times), do you just start over? What is
their backup process?

3. There is little or no information on the limitations of Yahoo Groups.
>From what I have been able to come up with, we have 20MB of file storage and
30MB of photo storage. There is no mention of how long they will store
archived messages. There is no way to download these message from Yahoo.
While doing a search on Google for the limitations of Yahoo Groups, I found
multiple references to instances where Yahoo will shut the group down for a
period of time if their bandwidth limits are reached. These are some of the
limitation concerns that bother me as the group continues to grow.

The idea of panotools.info was to consolidate the services that are
currently fragmented on one server and tie it all together with a real
website. I think the PanoTools list has grown beyond just Helmut's abandoned
toolset and blossomed into a myriad of specialized tools with a central
theme.

The members of the group seem to me to be interesting in the subject matter
based on the 600-800 posts a month. The wiki is starting take shape and
there are even a few members on the list that realize that I can't do this
all myself in my spare time and have help reduce the load by donating. This
has allowed me to renew my efforts to moving this project forward. I hope
this gives the members a better idea of where I'm coming from.

John