Sender:Serge Maandag (yahoo)
Date/Time:2007-Mar-07 11:10:36
Subject:Re: Use of (central) cylindrical projection?

PanoTools NG: Re: Use of (central) cylindrical projection? Serge Maandag (yahoo) 2007-Mar-07 11:10:36
> I am curious, does anybody use central cylindrical projection? I know
> it is one of the oldest projections in panotools, but I can't think of
> a good reason why it exists. Perhaps I am missing something.

For partial panoramas with a big horizontal FoV, I choose between
equirectangular and cylindrical, based on the how the image looks best.
Not very scientific, but that's not my goal in those cases. Especially
with landscape shots you can play with the height of mountains without
compromising the credibility of the scene.

I also used to use it in the old days for qtvr, but that was before qt
went cubical.

> Also, how about sinusoidal? It is almost a year since it was added to
> panotools, but I don't see it being used.

Haven't used it yet, but I am notorious for wasting bandwidth.

Serge.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/lOt0.A/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/gWFolB/TM