Sender:Bjørn K Nilssen
Date/Time:2009-Dec-18 17:32:53
Subject:Re: New World Record - 26 Gigapixels Photo?

PanoTools NG: Re: New World Record - 26 Gigapixels Photo? Bjørn K Nilssen 2009-Dec-18 17:32:53
On 18 Dec 2009 at 16:14, Carlos Chegado - www.carlosch wrote:

> I read somewhere that:
>
> "The picture was made with the Canon 5D mark II and a 400mm-lens. It
> consists of 1665 full format pictures with 21.4 megapixel, which was
> recorded by a photo-robot in 172 minutes. The converting of 102 GB raw
> data by a computer with a main memory cache of 48 GB and 16 processors
> took 94 hours. With a resolution of 297.500 x 87.500 pixel (26
> gigapixel) the picture is the largest in the world. (stand December 2009)"

And there is some more info under the Story tab. Dual Xeon etc...

IMO it's a quite boring image where less than 10% of it contains any interesting info,
unless one is very interested in grass, roof tiles, empty windows and streets etc.
Like most Gigapixel images I've looked at this one also looks like they've been cheating
by blowing it up to 400%, because it is surprisingly soft, particularly in the few
interesting areas in the background.
I think the only Gigapixel image I really enjoyed was one from Machu Picchu.
But hopefully this new world record will stand for a while, so that more focus will be
put on content than size?

--
Bj?K Nilssen - http://bknilssen.no - panoramas and 3D