Sender:Jim Watters
Date/Time:2004-May-05 20:32:51
Subject:Re: PTStitcher and Pano12.dll

PanoTools: Re: PTStitcher and Pano12.dll Jim Watters 2004-May-05 20:32:51
I have looked into this.  Yes most of the Tiff saving is done is
PTStitcher.  Changing only the pano12.dll to use LZW and compiling with
a Tiff library with LZW enabled, PTStitcher would still create Tiff
files with PackBits.   It is possible that PTStitcher does not use
pano12.dll to for Tiff but was compiled with Tiff library without LZW
enabled.  It is also possible that it is using pan12.dll but writing
with PackBits.

In the second case, it might be possible to use a resource/binary editor
to modify the compiled PTStitcher directly from from PackBits to LZW or
None.

The other hope is to use Hugin replacement for PTStitcher, Nona.  Kevin
Kratzke has already made an replacement for PTMac that uses LZW.

Photoshop has problem with very large Tiff files with PackBits.  I was
able to open 8000 X 8000 tiff images in PS, but 10k X 10k failed for
both 8bit and 16bit.

In Windows Explorer with WinXP if I select properties|Advanced click on
a couple thing but make no changes. Then click OK.  Windows grinds away
and the file becomes about 1/2 the size (re-saved with better
compression). Now it can be opened with Photoshop.  Don't know if there
is a way to automate this.  If it is part of the OS or if some software
that I have installed.

It should be noted that the US Patent on LZW expired on June 20th, 2003.
Europe and Japan patents expire June 20, 2004, and the Canada patent
expires July 7, 2004.

Pablo Wrote

     > Is nona a direct replacement for PTStitcher?  Each and every
    parameter
     > that PTStitcher user accounted for?  Is this the plan?  What can and
     > cant it do?

    + It supports all projection and interpolation types of PTStitcher.
    + A lot faster than PTStitcher for pano's with many images
    + writes small multilayer TIF files, with every layer only having
       the size it really needs. (unfortunately enblend doesn't understand
       these TIF's yet, and I'm very busy with other stuff right now).
    + sourcecode availabe (but a bit unstructured (or too fragmented ;)
       right now).

    - no panotools color correction
    - some output formats missing (especially PSD, and the more obscure
    ones)
    - doesn't swap images to disk, so it might not work very well for
    extremly
       large panos.
    - no 16/32 int/float bit support yet.. but should be very easy to
    add, since
       all imageprocessing operations are written as C++ templates.

    Usage similar to PTStitcher:

    nona -o outputimage PTStitcherProject.txt

    or use the gui version:

    nona_gui -o outputimage PTProject.txt

    can be used as a dropin replacement in PTAsm and PTGui as well. (but
    PTGui
    complains that its not called PTStitcher.exe ;)

    ciao
      Pablo

Hugin and Nano are available from http://hugin.sourceforge.net/
I just downloaded it but have not tested it.

 Jim Watters

 Graphic Software Developer
 http://members.rogers.com/jimwatters

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/.Cr1lB/TM