Sender:Erik Krause
Date/Time:2004-May-05 23:36:55
Subject:Re: PTStitcher and Pano12.dll

PanoTools: Re: PTStitcher and Pano12.dll Erik Krause 2004-May-05 23:36:55
On 5 May 2004 at 14:32, Jim Watters wrote:

> I have looked into this.  Yes most of the Tiff saving is done is
> PTStitcher.  Changing only the pano12.dll to use LZW and compiling with
> a Tiff library with LZW enabled, PTStitcher would still create Tiff
> files with PackBits.   It is possible that PTStitcher does not use
> pano12.dll to for Tiff but was compiled with Tiff library without LZW
> enabled.  It is also possible that it is using pan12.dll but writing
> with PackBits.
>
> In the second case, it might be possible to use a resource/binary editor
> to modify the compiled PTStitcher directly from from PackBits to LZW or
> None.

Very good idea! Done, works..

I looked at the constants that are defined in tiff.h. PackBits is
32773 or hex bytes 05 80, TIFFTAG_COMPRESSION is 259 or 03 01. I
search PTStitcher with a hex editor for any occurences of 05 80 and
found only half a dozen four of which where near the bytes 03 01.
Using search and replace was a matter of seconds.

I first tried DEFLATE but got a message from PTSTitcher: "Deflate
compression support is not configured" followed by "Compression
algorithm does not support random access" and knew I was on the right
way. I tried LZW with same result but was successful with NONE.

This "Compression algorithm does not support random access" is most
probably the reason for using PackBits. I've placed the patched
PTStitcher on http://www.erik-krause.de/ptstitcher.exe for download
for the first. If anybody wants it in Yahoo Groups, I'll place it
there.

This version has grown a bit (50.744 bytes instead of 50.688) since I
added version information.

Use at your own risk! Make a backup copy of original PTStitcher
first! This version is not tested for any other purpose than creating
single uncompressed tiff files!

Best regards
--
Erik Krause