Sender:Ian Wood
Date/Time:2004-Nov-08 00:14:53
Subject:Re: Real benefits to using 16bit images?

PanoTools: Re: Real benefits to using 16bit images? Ian Wood 2004-Nov-08 00:14:53
16-bit for most uses doesn't make much difference.  Where it really
comes in to its own is when you make big alterations to the tone or
colour of an image, using the adjustment tools in Photoshop, e.g. a
really drastic highlight/shadow correction.  In theory (and often in
practice) the 8-bit image will break up into distinct steps in tone
where the 16-bit image will still have a proper graduation.

I mostly shoot in RAW and convert to 8-bit because of time and file
sizes.

Ian

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/.Cr1lB/TM