Sender:Paul D. DeRocco
Date/Time:2004-Nov-08 05:58:51
Subject:RE: Real benefits to using 16bit images?

PanoTools: RE: Real benefits to using 16bit images? Paul D. DeRocco 2004-Nov-08 05:58:51
> From: joelbierling [mailto:#removed#]
>
> I'm just wondering if there are any real benefits in converting the
> RAWs to 16bit tiffs vs. using 8bit tiffs. I know theoretically there
> are benefits but doing a few comparisons between images stitched using
> 16bit tiffs I don't see any difference from the 8bit variety.
> Ptstitcher and enblend do a great job with 8bit images. Are they
> supposed to do a better job with 16bit images?

It depends upon the image. If you expect to do a lot of curve manipulation,
for instance to pull detail out of the shadows, then it may be worth the
extra bits. For well-exposed, "easy" images, eight bits is probably enough.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
Paul                mailto:#removed#

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/.Cr1lB/TM