Sender:RDHoore (ProxyVista)
Date/Time:2000-May-23 19:29:00
Subject:Re: I'll keep on asking, against all odds

proj-imim: Re: I'll keep on asking, against all odds RDHoore (ProxyVista) 2000-May-23 19:29:00
> If you are shooting for a 1 to 1 pixel ratio (maximum crisp size) it
> does....

I understand now what you mean, but you cannot possibly get that anyway in a
spherical pano, the pixels are thrown through all kinds of math. And the 1/1
ratio was already lost while converting from fisheye to equirectangular.

But in a cylindrical panorama, you can indeed get this 1/1 with the right
field of view, and I guess that's why cylindrical most often looks sharper.

I wonder how things would look if PTViewer would apply a light unsharp mask
while doing the bipolar interpolation. I know that many people's hairs stand
on end when they hear the word "unsharp mask", but the image in PTV is
really very soft, I haven't heard anyone disagreeing on that so far.

Ronny D'Hoore