Sender:Roger Howard
Date/Time:2007-Jul-30 19:54:33
Subject:Re: Setting image resolution in PTGui

PanoTools NG: Re: Setting image resolution in PTGui Roger Howard 2007-Jul-30 19:54:33
On Mon, July 30, 2007 10:44 am, Robert C. Fisher wrote:
> Michael
> When dealing with images pixels are pixels, it's only when you get
> into making prints that DPI comes into play. Oh and web pages, I
> guess it's really output to the real world. If your image is 2500 x
> 1250 then that is it until you need to output that image to the
> world. You can set DPI in photoshop according to where the image is
> headed, 72 for the web, 100-300 DPI for prints (depending on size). I
> pretty ignore anything but the actual pixels until I print or output.
>
> Does that make sense?
>   When stitching a project in PTGui I just output the image at the
> Maximum resolution, which should be pixel equal to the combined total
> of the images less the areas of overlap. This way there is no
> interpolating of the pixels until I need to do that for some reason.
> This way I can keep the same sharpness as the original images.

Just keep in mind - there will ALWAYS be interpolation as long as a
perspective correction (correct term?) is being applied... every pixel in
the output is going to be interpolated.

Outputting to the maximum rez as defined in PTGUI will give you the
closest match of input->output pixels in terms of their relative size, but
there will still be interpolation to create every output pixel.

Anyway, something of a tangent, but I see this come up now and then and
thought it worth a flagging.