Sender:Fulvio Senore
Date/Time:2007-Sep-19 07:52:01
Subject:Re: PTViewer Licensing Question

PanoTools NG: Re: PTViewer Licensing Question Fulvio Senore 2007-Sep-19 07:52:01
Carl von Einem ha scritto:
> Another important change of license conditions came with ptviewer 2.1
> <http://www.panotools.org/mailarchive/msg/7621#msg7621>
> "GNU-License applies to all extensions of PTViewer, including the
> QTVR-extension PTMViewer."

I have always been curious about this: PTViewer is licensed under the
GPL, but I think that an applet is conceptually similar to a plugin:
something that under Windows is implemented as a DLL. The browser links
to the plugin or to the applet.
It seems that the GLP requires that code linking to a GPL software must
be open-source: to solve this problem there is the LGPL that lets
proprietary software link to the library.

So, strictly speaking, Internet Explorer should not be allowed to use
PTViewer. Maybe PTViewer should have been released under the LGPL.

Does anybody have more information about this?

Fulvio Senore