Sender:robert_harshman
Date/Time:2007-Dec-05 02:44:05
Subject:Re: Help with selection of a proper Panning head

PanoTools NG: Re: Help with selection of a proper Panning head robert_harshman 2007-Dec-05 02:44:05
--- In #removed#, "montanajimbo2001" <mrjimbo@...>
wrote:

> I would appreciate some constructive coaching regarding pan head
> assemblies that might work... I want to do single row 360's using a
> 4 x 5 and / or an 8x10 view camera...

Hi Jim,

It would help us all if you could say what your goals are, subject
matter and target use(s) are. For the single row work must assume
prints and for VR's must assume internet. But...?

With a view camera, not sure if you really need a pano head at all as
you may be able to fix the NPP (no parallax point) on the rail. And if
your shooting traditional landscapes the NPP is not much of a concern
anyway.

> I would also like to work into #60/180's using a D2x.

This is quite traditional and has many solutions, the NN5 is the
newest one and is getting great reviews. Also check out the 360
Precision offerings, Kadian latest head, and many others. Google " 360
panoramic heads" or something similar, you'll get lots of options.

The 303 set is one. The 303 Plus is quite old, built for 35mm film
cameras - not changed since, but very strong and precise movements.
The 303SPH is similar, but much more flexible and quite a bit more
coarse in adjustments. It's still probably the most flexible VR head
in the market and many use the rotator with other setups. ( same
rotator as the 303 Plus and can be purchased separately)

No single VR head would work well for view cameras panos and 35m VR
targets. The requirements are simply too different.

I think you will find the same is true for the tripod and other gear
you need. Both require different solutions for different challenges to
produce professional results.

Regards,

Robert