Sender:Roger Howard
Date/Time:2009-Nov-18 20:38:32
Subject:Re: Re: ptLens - PAID?!

PanoTools NG: Re: Re: ptLens - PAID?! Roger Howard 2009-Nov-18 20:38:32
On Nov 18, 2009, at 10:26 AM, Eduardo Hutter wrote:

> As for Prof. Dersch in http://www.panotools.org/mailarchive/msg/57813 ,
> may, 2007:
>
> "I encourage anyone who wishes to start a commercial project based on
> PanoTools, but this can and should be done within the boundaries of the
> license, which btw is one of the most generous licenses thinkable.
> Violating the license is not just cheating me but [...]
>
> Anyway, to solve this problem, [...] I am planning to change the license
> for the PanoTools library (the files "pano12.lib" and "pano12.dll"
> apparently used by many programs) to the GNU-library license, which
> means that programmers can link to it without revealing their own
> code. [...] I am going to publish the license text at my website in
> the next weeks,and the change will be in effect from that day on (not
> retroactive).

Current panotools library sources still seem to be GPL - not to say that there isn't a branch by Prof. Dersch which is more permissive, but there seems to be lots of GPL (and some "public domain") source in the current panotools library, and nothing that seems to come with another license. That said, nothing precludes any developer from reaching an alternate arrangement with the panotools copyright holders - just because the public source is GPL doesn't mean there isn't another license availabe - it's not unheard of for open source projects to be dual-licensed.

Anyway, my interest is just academic - PTLens looks like a nice product, has a great price, and I don't begrudge the developer anything. I do take exception to arguing against the need to honor GPL based on some of the arguments I heard, but I have no way to know whether the product complies with the panotools license, or even in fact uses panotools source anymore and will, for my part, assume the best intentions and compliance.

-R