Sender:Helmut Dersch
Date/Time:2000-Jul-12 13:03:07
Subject:Re: Pan Image Quality

proj-imim: Re: Pan Image Quality Helmut Dersch 2000-Jul-12 13:03:07
John Spikowski wrote:

> Is there anyway to eliminate the "glitter" effect when panning with the mouse.
> If I use the arrow keys, I don't see this effect. I have noticed in other
> viewers (IPIX / PixAround) that it may pan slower but the image quality during
> the pan is much better.

John,

Sorry, but exactly the opposite is true: PTViewer's image quality
exceeds that of the ipix-viewer by any scientific standard.

The "glitter" effect during panning is due to the nearest neighbor interpolation,
which induces stairs, pixelation and other artifacts. All VR-viewers,
including the plug-in versions (qtvr, LivePicture etc) and PTViewer
use this technique during  panning for speed reasons. When viewing
still images, the better viewers switch to slower, but higher
quality bilinear rendering, eg qtvr. PTViewer is also doing that.
However, all other java-viewers, including ipix latest viewer
(I just requecked their site to be sure) and LivePicture's viewer, simply
leave the glittering pixelated image also when not panning.

So please provide an example VR-panorama made from the same sources in
different formats and check for yourself.

Helmut Dersch