Sender:yuval levy
Date/Time:2006-Jul-12 08:28:58
Subject:Re: Photoshop Adjustment Layers/Adjustments on Seperate Image Areas?

PanoTools NG: Re: Photoshop Adjustment Layers/Adjustments on Seperate Image Areas? yuval levy 2006-Jul-12 08:28:58
Hi Simon,

--- "Wheaton, Simon" <#removed#>
wrote:
> I have a stitched/blended landscape pano in
> Photoshop that contains ground and sky.

I assume Photoshop CS2.

> I want to apply different adjustment layers
> (Curves-Brightness/Contrast-Hue/Saturation) to both
> the ground and to the sky.

Possible, you can add a layer mask to the adjustment
layers. One way to do it is to select the area as
described by Kathy, then with the selected area create
the adjustment layer. The mask will be created
automatically and you can still edit it by clicking on
the mask (next to the layer itself) for fine
retouching.

> I also want to use a different Shadow/Highlight
> adjustment setting on both the ground and the sky.

AFAIK S/H can not be done with a layer, but if you
already have the layers and the selection, it is
possible to re-select the specific area. Once you have
a selected area, the S/H settings are applied only to
the selection. It is possible (and recommended) to
achieve the same result as S/H with curves adjustment,
so there is no real need to use S/H other than it is
easier.

I prefer using adjustment layers because they leave my
underlying original image untouched and I can always
adjustment settings. The changes with S/H, as well as
the changes of
curves/levels/brightness/contrast-hue/saturation
applied directly to the image are irreversible once
saved and can't be replicated easily to other areas of
the picture - all thing that adjustment layers and
their masks enable.

> Will the masks allow different settings to be used
> with the Shadow/Highlight adjustment as well?

not AFAIK.

> Is it correct that the Shadow/Highlight adjustment
> is not available as
> an adjustment layer? (I wish it was!)

I am afraid you are correct. But if you become
proficient with the curves tool, you won't miss it.

Yuv

http://mail.yahoo.com

http://us.click.yahoo.com/SISQkA/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/gWFolB/TM