Sender:pedro_silva58
Date/Time:2007-Jan-24 16:45:59
Subject:ptgui, was Re: New projection: Miller

PanoTools NG: ptgui, was Re: New projection: Miller pedro_silva58 2007-Jan-24 16:45:59
--- In #removed#, Joost Nieuwenhuijse <imim@...> wrote:

> Pedro: i'll let you have your opinion, but a lot of code in PTGui was
> written from the ground up to overcome problems in PTStitcher and
PTools
> at the time, in particular related to creating very large panoramas.
> Still nothing prevents you from using the panotools optimizer or the
> autopano plugin if you prefer that, so I don't see any hole around me.
>
> What's more, I found it difficult to support each and every panotools
> version. We have 3 different stitchers (ptstitcher, nona, ptmender),
> each supporting a different subset of the features. And there was a
> binary compatibility break in pano12 v2.8.4. I plan to catch up with
the
> developments though.
>
> Joost

joost,
thank you for a diplomatic reply to a possibly touchy issue.
i did not mean to sound aggressive with my "hole" expression.  while i
do appreciate your work that lead to v6 (reason why i upgraded), i
remember a time when updates were more common than they have been.
there are a number of reasonable features that have been requested
(not to mention small bugs), but we are still waiting.  that's why i
wondered aloud whether your decision to duplicate some of what was
provided by the pano-tools suite might possibly be making your life
more difficult now, playing catch up (that's what i meant by the
"hole" thing).
don't get me wrong, like i said in another msg (sent before i saw
yours), in my opinion "ptgui is very good".  but, like everything
else, it can be improved, right?
cheers,
pedro