Sender:dmgalpha
Date/Time:2007-Mar-07 00:18:38
Subject:Re: IS with panos?

PanoTools NG: Re: IS with panos? dmgalpha 2007-Mar-07 00:18:38
--- In #removed#, Bj?K Nilssen <bk@...> wrote:

> I was wondering if any of you with IS in your bodies/lenses if it
causes any problems
> when stitching?

Yes, the shift will add to your error. How much it depends on the lens
field-of-view. The longer the lens, the more error.

And it depends how worried you are about error. Some people are happy
to present panoramas with some errors, while some people want absolute
precision.

The question is, why do you want to enable it? If you are shooting
handheld, then the error by not using a tripod is way bigger than that
of the shift. If you are using a tripod you dont want to use the IS
feature, as it will probably work against you (read your manual).

the only lenses that canon makes that are tripod aware are the EF 300
2.8L IS and above (in cost). They have a special mode to take into account
mirror slap while on a tripod. If I recall correctly, for all others
Canon recommends to
switch the feature off when the camera is on a tripod.

dmg

> Theoretically it could cause each shot to have slightly differing
Shift values - at least

http://us.click.yahoo.com/hOt0.A/lOaOAA/yQLSAA/gWFolB/TM