Sender:Bjørn K Nilssen
Date/Time:2007-Mar-07 09:06:49
Subject:Re: Re: IS with panos?

PanoTools NG: Re: Re: IS with panos? Bjørn K Nilssen 2007-Mar-07 09:06:49
On 6 Mar 2007 at 23:15, dmgalpha wrote:

> --- In #removed#, Bj?K Nilssen <bk@...> wrote:
> >
> > I was wondering if any of you with IS in your bodies/lenses if it
> causes any problems
> > when stitching?
>
> Yes, the shift will add to your error. How much it depends on the lens
> field-of-view. The longer the lens, the more error.
>
> And it depends how worried you are about error. Some people are happy
> to present panoramas with some errors, while some people want absolute
> precision.
>
> The question is, why do you want to enable it? If you are shooting
> handheld, then the error by not using a tripod is way bigger than that
> of the shift. If you are using a tripod you dont want to use the IS
> feature, as it will probably work against you (read your manual).
>
> the only lenses that canon makes that are tripod aware are the EF 300
> 2.8L IS and above (in cost). They have a special mode to take into account
> mirror slap while on a tripod. If I recall correctly, for all others
> Canon recommends to
> switch the feature off when the camera is on a tripod.

The reason why I asked was to find out if the varying Shift values would cause
problems/errors in PTgui, and if you would have to use individual Shift parameters for
each image. It appears to be less of a problem than I thought it was?
My only IS camera at the moment is a Panasonic P&S, which I will not use for spherical
panos (35mm lens), but I was considering one of the new Olympus SLRs, with IS in the
body.
I have actually had some problems, even with the camera on a tripod, in windy/gusty
weather and long exposure times (30s).--
Bj?K Nilssen - http://www.bknilssen.no - panoramas and 3D

http://us.click.yahoo.com/0It09A/bOaOAA/yQLSAA/gWFolB/TM