Sender:hmmsomethingelse
Date/Time:2007-Jul-30 13:44:45
Subject:Re: processor upgrade

PanoTools NG: Re: processor upgrade hmmsomethingelse 2007-Jul-30 13:44:45
> Im looking at the new processors and the fastest is the dual core
> A64 AM2 6000 which runs at 3.0Ghz. Now as ptgui is unsupported for
> dual-core does this mean Ill only get a 25% speed increase from
> 2.4Ghz to 3.0Ghz

AMD call it a 6000 processor for a reason. Partly marketing but also
partly true. Their new processors do more with a lower clock speed
than the old one. I think the idea is if you clocked a 1000 mhz
pentium III to six GHZ you would get the same performance as an amd
6000 produces from just 3000 mhz. Does this make sense? However as
your 2.4 processor is newer and already more efficient per ghz than
the benchmark pentium 3 already you can't make a direct comparison.
But suffice to say you should get much more of a speed boost than if
you just say overclocked your processor to 3ghz. Equally the last
pentium 4 processors running at 3ghz were slower than the intel
duos/m's running at 1.5mhz.

The other thing which you probably know but as no one has mentioned it
ram is obviously the most important thing. Unless you have say three
gb of ram upgrade that first. Unless you need lots and are still on
ddr in which case ddr2 is sufficiently cheaper it may make more sense
to just get a new motherboard and ddr2 and sell the old stuff on ebay.

Oh and intel processors are rather the flavour of the month at the
moment rather than amds which were ahead when you bought yours.
Probably not really much in it in the end though.