Sender:Edward Fink
Date/Time:2005-Jun-11 17:46:39
Subject:RE: Re: helicopter panorama - shooting method

PanoTools: RE: Re: helicopter panorama - shooting method Edward Fink 2005-Jun-11 17:46:39
	Thanks for trying, Bernhard.  I've always been so close to the
nodal point on everything I've done, and until last week I'd never even
used a monopod, so I've been worried that it was my inexperience dealing
with non-tripod panoramas that was the problem.  So I really appreciate
you trying it yourself.

	Without a doubt my biggest mistake so far has been in thinking
that I had lots of slack because of the altitude.  I'm sure it'd be
easier over a forest, but I don't even know where to start trying to fix
a panorama where one shot looks straight down a city street, and the
opposite shot is looking straight down a DIFFERENT street.

	If I get another chance I'm going to try a pole or monopod.
I'll be doing some measurements and/or tests to make sure my monopod can
extend below the skids and still give me plenty of room to hold on to it
without leaning way out.

	I REALLY wish I had a D70s instead of my D70!!!  Using Nikon
Capture on the laptop for a remote shutter release causes the image to
be written to the laptop instead of the camera's flash card.  That's not
only slow, but it means I must have a third person along to hold the
laptop and fire the shutter while I hold the camera and monopod.

	Yesterday I tried shooting with my monopod sticking out over the
observation deck of a 30 floor building.  I have to say, it seems so
easy when talking about it, but actually DOING it makes you realize what
a very serious thing it is.  I ended up choosing my location based on
what the camera might fall on, instead of the best view.  I triple
checked everything to make sure it was TIGHT, then gave it to my son to
check again.  I wasn't just nervous when I held it over the edge - I was
downright scared, and my heart was pounding.  My hands got sweaty, which
made me worry about the monopod slipping, which caused my hands to sweat
even more.  :)

	I'll try that a few more times before I do it in the air.  It
was a good test, if nothing else because I found that when I'm that
nervous, or "careful", I move very slowly, and I need to take that into
account.

	For my next dry run I want to sit on a railroad bridge and hold
the camera and monopod straight down next to me so it's more like how
I'll be holding it from the helicopter.

Ed