Sender:Yuval Levy
Date/Time:2005-Jun-15 03:56:49
Subject:Re: New version of PTViewer

PanoTools: Re: New version of PTViewer Yuval Levy 2005-Jun-15 03:56:49
William Donelson wrote:
> Fulvio
>
> Thanks!  We all really appreciate the superb work you are doing!
>
> One idea: Allow two "domains" to be used in encryption:
>
> 1) A web domain
> 2) A CD-ROM  "domain"
>
> Is that a good idea?
>
> William

It is a good idea that bumps into practical problems that are best solved with two encrypted version of the panorama, one for the web and one for the CD-ROM.

A CD-ROM (or more generally a volume, such as a USB key, optical drive, floppy drive, etc...) is defined differently under different operating systems.

In Windows, a volume is assigned a drive letter. The system drive is typically C:. It is impossible to predict what letter an individual Windows system assigns to a CD-ROM drive. It depends on how many devices are connected and how. Also newer Windows version allows the mounting of NTFS partition in the existing filesystem tree, i.e. no drive letter at all, like in the different *nix flavor of OS, including Mac OSX.

Under MacOSX/FreeBSD/Linux and other flavors of unix, the drives are uniquely identified, however there are too many possible combination (the drive could be on the primary or secondary controller, master or slave, or it could be on a scsi controller, etc.).

With the old scheme devised by Helmut, you would typically use a .jpb extension to protect a file on CD-ROM. That way, only the path, but not the drive letter (or the domain) are considered. Use a .jpc for the web.

Yuv