Sender:Mark S Karpo
Date/Time:2006-Feb-25 21:28:24
Subject:Re: Full frame or 1.6 crop sensor, which is better?

PanoTools: Re: Full frame or 1.6 crop sensor, which is better? Mark S Karpo 2006-Feb-25 21:28:24
Thanks for comment. The 1Ds is too much $$ for my hobby.  But, I'd
like to hear about your results.
Regarding viewing on screen, more resolution is better.  I like to
zoom in and look at details, then zoom out and pan around some
more.  More resolution = more zoom in details.  As you note for
printing, high res is good (around 300 dpi).

--- In #removed#, "tflyfish2002" <Bazzer@...> wrote:

> You make a interesting arguement, but I will let you know more next
> week when my 1Ds has shown up.  One factor  to consider it the
image
> circle from a fisheye is larger on the fullframe and covers more
> pixels than the croped sensor cameras, yes the sweet spot might be
the
> same on both, but lets see with some practical tests.  IN the
DPREview
> of the orginal 1Ds the resolution of the camera was so high the ISO
> chart that they were using could hardly record it.  If you look at
the
> image samples that they publish, the 1Ds seems to be better than
the
> much newer 5D. I have had great results with my now sold 20D and
the
> Sigma 8mm.  My dream is to find a Nikon 8mm that I can use with it.
> Still, lens resolution is the least of my problems, after all we
only
> show 360 pano's on a screen that is 96dpi at the most.  Different
if
> you want to make prints of course. But how high do you really need
it?
> Antialiasing is the bigger problem IMHO when the panos are shown
in a
> viewer. The newer antialiasing filters seem to be helping.
>
> Just my 2 cents worth.
>
> Bazzer
>
> -- In #removed#, "Mark S Karpo" <mark@> wrote:
> >
> > I want the best Image Quality (IQ) for spherical panos and
mosaics.
> > Which is better, a full frame or 1.6 crop sensor and what are
the
> > tradeoffs?
> >
> > Currently, I use a Canon 300D (1.6 crop sensor) on Nodal Ninja
with
> > various lenses (15mm fish to 200mm), PTGui, Photoshop, etc. I
have a
> > Canon 5D (full frame sensor) on order and will compare to my
300D
> > soon, but what should I expect?
> >
> > I expect BETTER IQ from the 300D than the 5D, for the following
> > reasons. The resolution of a digital pano or mosaic is
determined
> > solely by lens focal length and sensor pixel density, and not
sensor
> > size, right? The 5D & 300D have similar sensor density, so at
any
> > given lens focal length they should have the same resolution,
with
> > the 300D taking a crop of the 5D image. However, I expect
overall
> > pano IQ to be BETTER on the 300D than the 5D because the 300D
uses
> > the sweet center of the lens (even pro quality lenses are better
in
> > the center, right?), thus each individual 300D image will have
> > sharper corners, less distortion, better stitching, and
ultimately
> > better pano IQ, than its 5D counterpart images. The expected
> > tradeoff is the 300D will require 1.6 times as many shots as the
5D
> > to cover the same angular area. However, the extra time to take
1.6
> > times extra shots is worth it if it results in better IQ and
saves
> > me $3,000 for the 5D. Your thoughts?
> >
> > One other qestion I have is which lens is better for pano/mosaic
IQ,
> > a 15mm fish or a wide rectangular zoom like the Sigma 10-22 or
12-
> > 24? Any thoughts on this?
> >
> > Mark K.
> >
> > P.S. I've tested my 300D against other 1.6 crop sensors by
taking
> > test pictures and pixel peeping. I returned them all. The Nikon
D200
> > is faster and more ergonomic, but a little noisier so IQ is not
> > quite as good as the 300D. The Canon 20D is faster and has less
> > noise and thus has a bit better IQ over my 300D, not enough to
> > upgrade though. The Canon 350XT is noisier and it's too small.
Which