Sender:Roger Howard
Date/Time:2006-May-12 19:15:36
Subject:Re: Re: How do you shoot the Nadir?

PanoTools: Re: Re: How do you shoot the Nadir? Roger Howard 2006-May-12 19:15:36

On Friday, May 12, 2006, at 10:10AM, tflyfish2002 <#removed#> wrote:

>You are right about the parallax, Mike Thoby does it well with his
>rig, but it is very complex for me and not commercially available.  I
>am thinking about using two small lazer pointers attached to the
>camera to give me the correct distance, Dam Busters style.
>Hand holding is very hit or miss.  Lowering the shooting rig can be a
>help, I am thinking of a short monopod with a weighted base instead of
>a tripod.

I rarely shoot nadir shots, but why would parallax be a problem for most floors? We're talking about filling in a pretty small hole in the floor directly below the photog, which is presumably a (relatively) flat plane. Unless you're standing on a steel grate (a catwalk perhaps) with lots of subject detail at a distance below the surface, I can't see how parallax is much of a problem.

Just do what others have suggested - remap to cube faces... remap the nadir... and skew/distort/mask into place. For the vast majority of nadir shots that should be easy and parallax free (since we tend to walk on flat surfaces, not ones with massive variations in depth!).

-R

http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/.Cr1lB/TM