Sender:Roger D. Williams
Date/Time:2006-Jun-03 04:48:21
Subject:Re: Stereo Panorama patents

PanoTools: Re: Stereo Panorama patents Roger D. Williams 2006-Jun-03 04:48:21
On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 22:07:19 +0900, David Sykes
<#removed#> wrote:

> By rotating a camera some distance behind it's entrance-pupil for one
> full revolution, you can create stereo panoramas.
>
> The disparity (depth) of such panoramas can be adjusted AFTER taking
> the images.
>
> I have just made a dozen such panoramas using separate software tools
> for each phase of the process.
>
> There are many other software options available for each phase.
>
> This method uses 'circular projection' and the Israeli inventors have
> been granted a number of US patents.
>
> If there is non-commercial (free) software available that already
> provides some of the required functions, what do you think the
> situation would be if I described how to use that software to create
> the stereo panoramas ?
> The information would be included in the programme's Help documentation.

David,

This sounds like something I have been searching for for years. I love
panoramas, and I love stereo photography, but "never the twain shall
meet" (until now).

I am not sure exactly what you are asking. Are you asking whether the
patents applied for might be undermined/invalidated by describing how
some functions could be performed using free software? If so, I don't
see how that can be answered without the knowledge that YOU have and
I don't. as a general comment I would have to say that if identifying
the freeware invalidated the patents, then they are de facto invalid
already and you can be sure this will eventually become pulbic if it
isn't already. But I'm probably no understanding your question right.

Don't take my inability to help as any kind of disincentive, though. I
would love to see your results, and am pretty good at crossing my
eyes for stereo effects. <g> I also have a periscope-type viewer for
pictures one above the other, ideal for panoramas. If you would kindly
send me an image I would be delighted to view it. I am also a firm
customer for any product that results (may it be soon--I am not getting
any younger).

My address is roger atmark adex hyphen japan dot com.

Roger

--
Work: www.adex-japan.com, Play: www.usefilm.com/member/roger

http://us.click.yahoo.com/.7bhrC/MGxNAA/yQLSAA/.Cr1lB/TM