Sender:Robert C. Fisher
Date/Time:2010-Apr-14 19:32:35
Subject:Re: Canon 5D Mark II - first DSLR to film a prime time TV episode

PanoTools NG: Re: Canon 5D Mark II - first DSLR to film a prime time TV episode Robert C. Fisher 2010-Apr-14 19:32:35
Well I work in the movie business in Hollywood and I agree 100%. Most
HW movies suck. A lot of european films have much better stories and
are far more interesting. this has been the case for the 35 years I
have been working in the business. The big SFX films have provided a
decent wage for years but I would much rather work on films with good
stories and interesting scrips.

Just my .02.

On Apr 14, 2010, at 9:58 AM, Ken Warner wrote:

> Exactly.  Hollywood movies have obligatory car chases and lots
> of explosions and that's pretty much it -- except for green
> screen sets -- which are everywhere.
>
> Matthew Rogers wrote:
>> The problem however is most of what comes from Hollywood won’t be
>> improved regardless of the equipment that shoots it. In the last 2
>> years I've watched 5 or 6 really good French/Spainish films from
>> all genres and maybe one half decent Hollywood flick. It seems that
>> the equipment, the SFX and the style of the films are far more
>> important then any form of story, plot or depth of character.
>>
>> Matt
>>
>> On 14 Apr 2010, at 17:01, Roger Howard wrote:
>>
>>> I was at a DSLR conference in Hollywood in February and the
>>> presentations
>>> were amazing - first, the crowd was almost evenly split between:
>>>
>>> 1) Still shooters excited to make a transition to video, mainly as
>>> a way of
>>> enhancing what they already do as well as just out of general
>>> interest about
>>> how this tool they are so used to (the SLR) is being adopted by a
>>> completely
>>> alien crowd...
>>> 2) The filmmakers, DPs and other folks looking seriously at
>>> supplementing
>>> (or even oughtright replacing) their dedicated video cameras with
>>> DSLRs.
>>> These people were insanely excited, but of course speak a pretty
>>> different
>>> language than the first group.
>>>
>>> It was an interesting convergence to say the least... very
>>> enthusiastic
>>> about this - no hyperbole to call this at least a mini revolution
>>> in the
>>> video capture business.

> --

Cheers