Sender:Bruno Postle
Date/Time:2008-Nov-17 14:56:19
Subject:Re: pano12 or pano13?

PanoTools NG: Re: pano12 or pano13? Bruno Postle 2008-Nov-17 14:56:19
On Mon 17-Nov-2008 at 17:00 +1100, Kathy Wheeler wrote:

>Compiling panotools for command line use on a Unix (FreeBSD) box.
>1. What are the basic differences between pano12 and pano13? Can
>pano13 do anything pano12 cannot and vica versa?

The reason for the distinction is that pano12 keeps 'binary
compatability' with Helmut's original pano12.dll - This is necessary
if you want to use it with PTOptimizer.exe, PTStitcher.exe, PTGui or
any other tool that links to the library.

(Somewhat related is that linking to the library like this was
incompatible with the GPL, so Helmut and most of the subsequent
contributors agreed to re-license pano12 under the LGPL - This
process was never actually completed, somebody needs to finish this
up and actually release pano12 with the new license)

pano13 has quite a bit of internal clean-up and some new
command-line tools.  The clean-up means that it is no longer 'binary
compatible', hence the change in name - This means that you can have
PTGui, PTStitcher.exe and hugin installed on the same Windows
machine without getting into 'dll-hell' (hugin uses pano13).

>2. Is it best to get the SVN files or the tar from 2007?

SVN isn't much different to the libpano13 tarball, and the minor
changes are only relevant if you are using hugin.

>I presume (hope) there are instructions in the source for compiling
>on Unix? The only instructions I can find in the wiki are for windows :(

Just the usual ./configure && make && make install

>Yes I have joined the panotools-dev mailing list to ask these types
>of questions (or at least will shortly when the confirmation arrives)
>but checking the archives it's so quiet it's scarey ...

There isn't much traffic on panotools-devel which relects the fact
that the focus of development has moved to other aspects of panorama
creation.

--
Bruno