Sender:Erik Krause
Date/Time:2009-Dec-11 15:20:45
Subject:Re: Gigapixel, handheld...

PanoTools NG: Re: Gigapixel, handheld... Erik Krause 2009-Dec-11 15:20:45
Sacha Griffin wrote:

> Thank god it wasn’t for a paying client or you would have had a heart
> attack.

If that was for a paying client I would have carried loads of equipment
to that summit ;-)

> It looks great without the cross. Did you use the big rock cover up the
> seams?

The seams are a bit outside the rock, unfortunately. If I do something
like this again, I cover more floor in the hires version.

> Besides that. I think the tonal ranges are absolutely perfect.
>
> What considerations did you make there?

Not much. My first idea was a test stitch only, hence I didn't pay much
attention to the raw conversion. I just used used the Canon tool, took
an example image and adjusted settings such, that I get least clipping
of highlight and shadow detail. Then I used this settings on all images.
They came out pretty flat as expected.

> Adaptive contrast / USM? Could you explain this method a bit more?

If you use unsharp mask with a high radius (70-100 for normal web
displayed images, 250 in this case) and relatively low percentage you
get a local contrast enhancement. Since I wanted to use different
amounts on near and far mountains I used three layers with 40%, 60% and
100%. 40% was for the entire image in order to compensate for the flat
contrast from raw conversion. 60% was for the medium distant mountains
and 100% for the far away ones in the mist and against the sun. I used
very soft masks (brush radius between 1000 and 1600 pixels).

> I’m more familiar with the guassian blur masks method.

The result might be similar but with USM you have an immediate preview...

best regards
--
Erik Krause
http://www.erik-krause.de