Sender:Pat Swovelin
Date/Time:2010-Feb-06 23:36:08
Subject:Re: Some Focus Stacking Questions

PanoTools NG: Re: Some Focus Stacking Questions Pat Swovelin 2010-Feb-06 23:36:08
On 2/6/2010 2:10 PM, Bernhard Vogl's hamster got loose on the keyboard
and typed ...:
> I'm currently experimenting with focus stacking for high resolution
> images of small (but not microscopic) items. I've already browsed
> through Rik Littlefield's wealthy collection of information but i'd be
> specifically interested in answers about...:
>
> - I'm always confused about the different jobs pano12.dll and PTStitcher
> are for. Or - in other words - does it make sense to experiment with
> "pano12 focus stacking" capabilities considering a possible speedup
> through PTStitcherNG?
> - There is a small difference between stacking the images through
> changing the focus and moving the camera but visually it is very
> subtile. For my needs, it would be easier to stack the images by moving
> the camera, so i want to ensure that i didn't potentially miss an
> essential problem before starting to build some weird contraption for
> shooting. Has anyone some deeper information on the differences how the
> image changes by turning the focus vs. moving the camera?

If you move the camera the relationship of the subject to the
back/foreground will change as will the relationship of the near side of
the subject to the far side of the subject.  Depending on what you're
shooting that may not be a problem.

Regardless of that isn't changing the focus a *lot* easier than moving
the camera (even if it's on a slider)?  If you're talking about *very*
small objects you'll need a geared slider of some sort to allow you to
move the camera by very very small increments.  Isn't changing the focus
easier?

> Thanks for any help in advantage!
> Bernhard

Pat Swovelin