Sender:Erik Krause
Date/Time:2010-Feb-07 19:06:31
Subject:Re: Some Focus Stacking Questions

PanoTools NG: Re: Some Focus Stacking Questions Erik Krause 2010-Feb-07 19:06:31
Am 06.02.2010 23:10, schrieb Bernhard Vogl:
> - I'm always confused about the different jobs pano12.dll and PTStitcher
> are for. Or - in other words - does it make sense to experiment with
> "pano12 focus stacking" capabilities considering a possible speedup
> through PTStitcherNG?

I don't think focus stacking is implemented in PTStitcherNG, which
doesn't use pano12. As Rik (who implemented it in pano12) wrote, this
was more of an experiment than a real option. Better to use enfuse or
tufuse for that purpose.

> - There is a small difference between stacking the images through
> changing the focus and moving the camera but visually it is very
> subtile. For my needs, it would be easier to stack the images by moving
> the camera, so i want to ensure that i didn't potentially miss an
> essential problem before starting to build some weird contraption for
> shooting. Has anyone some deeper information on the differences how the
> image changes by turning the focus vs. moving the camera?

Using the focus ring isn't recommended, since it changes magnification.
You would need to align the images regarding their Field of View. Moving
the camera provides the same magnification for each image.

--
Erik Krause
http://www.erik-krause.de