Sender:John Houghton
Date/Time:2004-Nov-12 15:21:29
Subject:Re: entrance pupil - nodal point

PanoTools: Re: entrance pupil - nodal point John Houghton 2004-Nov-12 15:21:29

--- In #removed#, "Erik Krause" <#removed#>
wrote:
> What you show here is the example of a pinhole camera. If you
follow
> the light rays further to the right, you would see that there is
only
> one rotational position of the lens, where A and B are together on
> the film - the position where A, B and N1 are on the same straight
> line. Such a narrow aperture in front of the lens simply limits the
> field of view...

Erik, Of course there is only one position where A and B are in line
when you rotate about the nodal point.  This is why it is the wrong
point to choose for the no parallax point.  The example is no more a
pinhole camera than any lens stopped down to f/16.  The light rays
get refracted by the glass just the same.  The aperture certainly
limits the field of view, but I still get a full image with such an
aperture in front of a 50mm lens on my D60.

John

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/.Cr1lB/TM