Sender:Erik Krause
Date/Time:2005-Oct-28 15:08:56
Subject:Re: dynamic range and noise (yet again)

PanoTools: Re: dynamic range and noise (yet again) Erik Krause 2005-Oct-28 15:08:56
On Friday, October 28, 2005 at 11:26, pedro_silva58 wrote:

> different people chose to reply to different aspects of my idea (which
> is normal).  i knew i was not inventing anything new, but had not seen
> the combination of adding and averaging before -- adding the shadows
> (to build up exposure), averaging the highlights (to lower noise), and
> using both for the midtones (to get both effects in this important
> area).  i thought this combination might have some merit.

adding and averaging is just the same: You need to add first in both
cases. Averaging simply transforms the result back into source value
range by dividing it by the number of images. If your destination
range is 16 bit and your source images are 8 bit you even have to
multiply for less than 255 samples...

Averaging or adding is no advantage compared to shooting bracketed
and merging to HDR.

best regards

--
Erik Krause