Sender:michael crane
Date/Time:2006-Feb-25 12:17:07
Subject:Re: blending with ImageMagick (was Re: monopod)

PanoTools: Re: blending with ImageMagick (was Re: monopod) michael crane 2006-Feb-25 12:17:07
>> Sometimes I use a .bat file to run "convert" on the bracketed
>> exposures
>> but this is not always successful.
>
> you mean the "convert" command line from ImageMagick as in convert
> image1.tif image2.tif -average resultingimage.tif ?
>
> I've tried this quickly yesterday and compared it with a simple but
> highly effective way of exposure blending in photoshop (put the two
> exposures on top of each other and use the sliders in the layer
> blending options).
>
> Unsurprisingly, the result in Photoshop is much better, especially in
> the darker areas. I believe this is because of the mask that makes
> sure that the noise associated with the underexposed areas does not
> come through the end result, while the average is still affected by
> this noise.
>
> So my question is whether it is possible to replicate this photoshop
> behaviour with imagemagick, i.e. create a blending mask in imagemagick
> ?

I do not know. but would like to. I always find some difference
especially at the horizon line between bracketed exposures made into
seperate equirectangulars using ptgui /smartlend. Blending the original
bracketed exposures (eg 3x2x10) in photoshop would be a bit tedious. So
I was looking for something I could type.

regards

michael crane