Sender:Rik Littlefield
Date/Time:2006-May-31 02:14:03
Subject:Re: Stitching ultra large panoramas

PanoTools: Re: Stitching ultra large panoramas Rik Littlefield 2006-May-31 02:14:03
--- In #removed#, Yuval Levy <yuval_levy@...> wrote:

> Max Lyons wrote:
> > 1. Depth of field.
>
> <snip/>
>
> > The more gigapixels you want to create, the longer
> > the focal length you'll need.  And, the shallower
> > the DOF becomes.
>
> Rik Littlefield posted a solution to this specific
> problem:
> <http://www.janrik.net/ptools/ExtendedFocusPano12/index.html>
>
> Theoretically that's it. Practically it will compound on all the other
> mentioned issues.

Yes, the number of frames to be shot and the amount of data and
processing would be huge.  Not a job I'd like to tackle.

But it could be done, and I suppose eventually someone will do it.

Probably not with a DSLR, however.  The number of frames required will
wear out the mirror & shutter so fast that one starts to think in
terms of "scenes per camera".

Image capture as high-res digital video would be a lot more practical.

--Rik

http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/.Cr1lB/TM