Sender:Max Lyons
Date/Time:2006-May-31 05:14:17
Subject:Re: Re: Stitching ultra large panoramas

PanoTools: Re: Re: Stitching ultra large panoramas Max Lyons 2006-May-31 05:14:17
Focus blending is a possible solution to the DOF issue.  I've created a few
images in the 100-200 megapixel range using this technique, such as this 150
megapixel image of an orchid flower created from 24 frames blended from 116
images.

http://www.tawbaware.com/maxlyons/cgi-bin/image.pl?showFileName=Arl_IMG_...
IMG_4247_Orchid_MacroPano.jpg&gallery=4

In theory this would work for much larger images but, as you note, this would
be extremely difficult in practice.  For a 10 gigapixel image, you'd need
thousands of frames, and could quite conceivably spend most of the day taking
pictures.  This would almost certainly rule out all outdoor subjects.  For a 50
gigapixel image, it wouldn't surprise me if the shutter wore out before you'd
finished taking the pictures!

Also, simply changing the focus for each shot isn't a general solution to the
DOF problem.  It might work OK in some situations, but doesn't solve the
problem if there are objects at very different distances in the same frame (for
example, a fence post 15 feet from the camera, a mountain 10 miles from the
camera, and terrain in between).

Max

http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/.Cr1lB/TM