Sender:jeffrey
Date/Time:2006-Jun-11 19:59:52
Subject:Re: Blending Large Overlaps

PanoTools: Re: Blending Large Overlaps jeffrey 2006-Jun-11 19:59:52
> Posted by:      "Geraldine Joffre"             #removed#                                          geraldine_joffre
> I'm a bit concerned that you mention a noise problem.
>  The noise problem is only if you choose the HDR tonemapping functions.
>  Most panographers prefer instead to use the automatic exposure
>  blending functions of Photomatix, which I recommend you to try. One of
>  the advantage of blending exposures is that the combined image will
>  show less noise than the source images.
This is true - useful for night shots - I've used the "average"
function on 4 - 10 images, and the noise was reduced a great deal!

However, the noise with tonemapping has usually meant that I can't use
it. And I don't really need photomatix for other stuff.... adjusting
for gamma and USM (and sometimes the Lightness channel) usually give
me the results I want, and if necessary, I combine another set of
shots for the sky.

>  This is incorrect. Photomatix offers 5 methods for blending exposures,
>  each one based on a different algorithm. Then it also offers a
>  tonemapping and a 48-bit compression algorithm.

What I meant was - it offers only one tonemapping algorithm, but there
are many available.

>  > and it makes halos
>  Not if you adjust the settings (I assume you are referring to the tone
>  mapping tool). Our FAQ explains how to do that
>  http://www.hdrsoft.com/support/faq_photomatix.html#halo

mmm :-) often the halos don't bother me, but it's usually noticable in
the sky, and on large areas of similar tone.

>  The tone mapping tool is not automatic, it offers many controls to
>  adjust to one's taste. If you prefer an automatic process, please use
>  the exposure blending functions.

Anyway, I think Photomatix *is* a very decent piece of software, but
it's not in my opinion totally finished yet - it would be great if it
offered 10 - 20 different tonemapping algorithms, perhaps showing a
preview for each one for a given HDR image. I like the "average"
function, but the other ones imo seem unnatural to me.

I do recommend anyone who has not yet tried it, to give it a spin! (it
will at least teach you to always bracket when you shoot, just in
case...)

jeffrey

http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/.Cr1lB/TM

<*> PanoTools List Reader @ GMane: