Sender:John Hollenberg
Date/Time:2005-Mar-17 05:35:38
Subject:Re: resource future - some support for John

PanoTools: Re: resource future - some support for John John Hollenberg 2005-Mar-17 05:35:38

--- In #removed#, "brian_raines_md" <#removed#>
wrote:

> I PERSONALLY think John is on the right track to move the list away
> from Yahoo and to a stand alone website -- look at the success of
> sites like dpreview.com and sitepoint.com (granted - they do not
> follow a wiki format).  Both have a heavy forum user base and a
> sense of community that also allows the site owners to realize a
> profit based on advertising, sales and the business that comes
their
> way while at the same time allows users to benefit through the
> sharing of ideas -- I know my photography is much better because of
> dpreview.com and I KNOW my web business is much better off because
> of sitepoint.com and phpbuilder.com.  I have personally seen this
> scenario succeed in my own business where a "sandbox/passion"
> website has grown to incredible proportions and now is a self
> sustaining enterprise through the revenue it generates and the
> business it brings my way.

This is fine with me, but only if done in such a way as to ATTRACT
people to the new web site, not by forcing them from their present
home.  I would be comfortable with the change if done in this way:
John turns over the reins of this group to others, continues to
develop his site, and invites everyone to join him.  That way each
would be free to choose the present group or move to the new web site.
 It would allow a sort of community-wide vote, since people would vote
with their presence at the new site or at the old Yahoo group.  The
change could take place gradually and naturally.

--John

PanoTools Wiki: http://wiki.panotools.org
PanoTools Extended Topic Forum: http://forum.panotools.info
PanoTools PayPal Donation Account: support_AT_panotools.info (_AT_ = @)