Sender:Erik Krause
Date/Time:2006-Jun-26 22:23:23
Subject:Re: VR Crime Scenes

PanoTools: Re: VR Crime Scenes Erik Krause 2006-Jun-26 22:23:23
On Monday, June 26, 2006 at 11:55, Brian wrote:

> This morning I received a free newspaper in the post called "Policing Essex"
> and in there was a report of a jury being shown a "virtual tour" of a crime
> scene in a murder case. The Police in question used a system called "R2S
> Crime" which is based on the system manufactured by Spheron VR in Germany:
>
> http://www.spheron.com/spheron/public/en/home/home.php

Gerhard Bonnet from Spheron used to post here occasionally. He had a
short presentation of this system on the Stuttgart meeting two years
ago.

The main difference to "normal" sphericals is that the panorama is
shot twice from a calibrated tripod with one meter vertical distance.
Because of the parallax there can be made measurements directly in
the pano viewer which is part of the package. In order to do this,
they use a highly calibrated lens. I don't think this is possible
with stitched panoramas...

best regards
--
Erik Krause