Sender:Mark Banas (lists)
Date/Time:2006-Jun-26 22:50:38
Subject:Re: Re: VR Crime Scenes

PanoTools: Re: Re: VR Crime Scenes Mark Banas (lists) 2006-Jun-26 22:50:38
On Jun 26, 2006, at 4:23 PM, Erik Krause wrote:
> In order to do this,
> they use a highly calibrated lens. I don't think this is possible
> with stitched panoramas...

In addition to that, crime-scene panoramas are subject to extreme
legal scrutiny, so anything that could involve "interpretation" (such
as stitching, blending, even data storage and "pixel integrity")
would make the idea unattractive to police. The system being promoted
by Spheron uses the same scanning camera but adds pixel verification
for the final image(s) and heavy controls on what can be done when
visualizing the data. Not much  "interpretation," or at least only
interpretation by someone willing to take the stand as a criminology
professional. Because this kind of work ultimately involves lots of
lawyers, I would avoid it like the plague...

-Mark

BTW, the type of "twin-spherical photogrammetry" done by Spheron's
scanning cameras can be done with any camera and lens, as long as the
two spheres are stitched with the same settings. (See also RealVIZs
VTour built off of Greg Downing's work for them.) I've reconstructed
scenes in 3D this way, but this is not automatic, so the accuracy of
dimensions is based on user input and experience.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/6pRQfA/fOaOAA/yQLSAA/.Cr1lB/TM