Sender:Erik Krause
Date/Time:2004-Nov-25 23:45:07
Subject:Re: My attempt to eliminate vignetting effect

PanoTools: Re: My attempt to eliminate vignetting effect Erik Krause 2004-Nov-25 23:45:07
On 25 Nov 2004 at 11:16, neugierigru wrote:

> I have uploaded description of my method to the
> http://mivasden.nm.ru/vignetting/
> This really works (sure, why not)

This not only works, it is one of the best ideas concerning
vignetting and panos I ever heard of. Really great.

> but I have the suggestion for the
> experienced programmers - may be this method can be implemented in
> the PanoTools? Together with transforming the images they can be
> adjusted in brightness as well, and this would be nice because of
> less images transformations.

Yes, this would be a really nice and useful feature, eliminating much
trouble and probably saving much time. I hope that any of the
programmers picks it up. A software solution could be much faster
than your photoshop one, because it isn't even necessary to remap the
levels images. To know where each pixel gets located should be
enough.

> I think it is possible to determine the necessary adjustment level
> because all needed information can be extracted from the original
> images form overlapping areas.

Yes. And an algorithm could even deal with non standard vignetting,
f.e. if brightness stays all the same for 90% of the way from the
center to the corners and then drops immediately.

There is one danger with adjusting image brigtness: You need an
anchor image, from where the amount of adjustments adds up with each
image you move away from that anchor. This quickly leads to colors or
brightness way off at the ends of a large pano.

I have currently no idea how to avoid this - especially if you have
multi row panoramas. For single row I usually use a gradient that
goes from white to black across the whole image as a mask for a
linked adjustment layer.

best regards
--
Erik Krause
Ressources, not only for panorama creation:

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/.Cr1lB/TM