Sender:Rik Littlefield
Date/Time:2006-Feb-04 05:36:22
Subject:Re: Geographic refs

PanoTools: Re: Geographic refs Rik Littlefield 2006-Feb-04 05:36:22
--- In #removed#, Julian <aaaardvark@...> wrote:
> Thanks John, Serge and Carel, but this is not what I was after.
> I am no programmer.  And the thing I saw did not have the the
> maps actually on or with the pano page.
>
> There was a link beside or with the pano labelled something
> like "Go there" or "See location".  WHen you clicked on it, IE
> opened at a Google Local page (of this I am certain, because at
> that point I had never heard of GL), and there was a satellite
> view from some particular height of, I think it was, Prague.
> From there you could zoom in and move around, I guess as normal
> on Google Local.
>
> Anyway thanks for your help, I still haven't found a
> comprehensible (for a non-programmer) way to point people to
> the locations of my panos, but still looking.

Julian,

The page that's in the wiki (http://wiki.panotools.org/?title=Geo-
referencing_panoramas_with_Google_Map) seems to describe how to get a
full custom map with lots of markers on it.  I think you're looking
for something simpler.

If you know the longitude,latitude of your pano, then you can just
insert a link like this, anywhere on your web page:

http://maps.google.com/maps?
q=46.254166666667+N+119.28583333333+W&t=k&hl=en&ll=46.254166666667,-
119.28583333333&spn=0.05,0.05&t=k

The spn parameters are the scale of the map.  Make them smaller to
zoom in closer.

This seems to be the technique that the World Wide Panorama is
using.  The example above comes from their "Show at Google Maps" link
for my Chamna Natural Preserve pano at

http://geoimages.berkeley.edu/wwp1204/html/RikLittlefield.html

Hope this is more like what you want.

--Rik