Sender:Helmut Dersch
Date/Time:2008-Jan-02 19:03:25
Subject:Re: New hardware testing on PTgui performance

PanoTools NG: Re: New hardware testing on PTgui performance Helmut Dersch 2008-Jan-02 19:03:25
--- In #removed#, Yuval Levy <yahoo06@...> wrote:

> Hi Helmut,
>
> Helmut Dersch wrote:
> > TIFFSetField(tif, TIFFTAG_COMPRESSION, COMPRESSION_PACKBITS );
>
> how will this affect warping / stitching on old CPUs (Pentium III
class,
> 500MHz - 1GHz)? Is it possible that the trade-off (I/O vs. compression)
> has a "sweet spot" based on CPU speed / memory frequency / memory
> quantity, in which case the above setting could be made either an
> optional flag or, better, an automatically set flag based on the
> relevant parameters? I am still using a bunch of older CPUs for
> remapping work.

Hi Yuval,

the packbits compression is very fast both for reading and writing. I
guess it improves speed on any platform.

> One of our GSoC projects was scalability:

The current stage of my fast stitcher does not store the final
panorama in RAM, without any speed penalty. As long as the input
image fits into RAM, processing time scales linearly with
panorama size. The stitcher also works with input images
larger than available RAM with a slight penalty. That means
you can create any sized panoramas on any machine, and
RAM in excess of ~300MByte is never required ( and of no use ).

All this applies to the warping step, no blending yet.

Regards

Helmut Dersch

<*> Nabble (Web) http://www.nabble.com/PanoToolsNG-f15658.html