Sender:Helmut Dersch
Date/Time:2008-Jan-02 20:24:29
Subject:Re: New hardware testing on PTgui performance

PanoTools NG: Re: New hardware testing on PTgui performance Helmut Dersch 2008-Jan-02 20:24:29
Hello Bernhard,

>s cropped TIFFs with deflate compression.
> (zip and deflate are possible, no packbits, so there actually will be a
> certain cost of cpu power)

The point of using compressed images is to zero out
the invalid image areas, which packbits does quite well.
It costs considerably less cpu-power than deflate,
which may slow down writes, or at least keeps
the cpu from doing more useful stuff.

> However, from a practical point of view, warping the images and writing
> to temp files is not the most time consuming part of the process.
> (Well, the badly written temp files are a problem in the blending
> step.). You can speed up warping almost linear by adding more CPU power
> and a higher number of cores (with nona and PTGui stitcher).
> But: Most of the time is needed to blend the images. This is certainly
> caused by the assumption of the software authors that the whole
panorama
> image can be accessed without extensive computational cost (in terms of
> harddisk access and memory needs). I am not sure if this is a problem
> inherent to the blending process - however - all blenders (enblend,
> PTGui, smartblend) do scale badly (only one CPU, "random access" in the
> image)...

> Just as a number: I have compared 2 methods with PTGui:
> - one is rendering a large panorama as one large image: took 2h 38min,
> warping (and temp file writing) took only 30min,

I am currently only working on the warp-part. Maybe
you could add  warp-times to your speed-comparison
chart. If the quoted 30min correspond to your set of posted
test-images: this can be reduced significantly.

I will look into the blender-issue.

Best regards

Helmut Dersch

<*> Nabble (Web) http://www.nabble.com/PanoToolsNG-f15658.html