Sender:dmgalpha
Date/Time:2007-Sep-19 21:05:44
Subject:Re: PTViewer Licensing Question

PanoTools NG: Re: PTViewer Licensing Question dmgalpha 2007-Sep-19 21:05:44

> Take a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPL_linking_exception
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPL_linking_exception>.

Hi Robert,

This linking exception does not apply in this case. This exception
(and there are others) are additions to the license that make an
explicit exception to the license. It only applies to Guile.

Helmut has already stated an "implicit" exception (implicit because it
is not explicit in the sources, as far as I know): that unmodified
PTviewer does not require the release of sources of the web site
(don't quote me on this, I might be wrong in the wording).

Furthermore, panotools and PTviewer are different products, each bound
by their own licenses.

Helmut, the application of the LGPL to panotools is very blurry at
this point. You need to modify the sources accordingly and
redistribute them. You can't retroactively change the license of what
you previously released and people downloaded. Well, you can, but
people can't change the license to LGPLv3 of something they already
downloaded. The GPL does not allow them. You are the only one who can
do it.

Alternatively, and the easiest for you, is to say that you approve (in
a mail message) that the sources of pano12 in sourceforge to be LGPLed
version 3.0. This will give the sourceforge team the legal document
that it needs to make that change.

--daniel

--daniel