Sender:Fulvio Senore
Date/Time:2007-Sep-19 22:20:28
Subject:Re: Re: PTViewer Licensing Question

PanoTools NG: Re: Re: PTViewer Licensing Question Fulvio Senore 2007-Sep-19 22:20:28

hd_de_2000 ha scritto:
> --- In #removed#, Fulvio Senore <mailing@...> wrote:
>
>> Carl von Einem ha scritto:
>>
>>> Another important change of license conditions came with ptviewer 2.1
>>> <http://www.panotools.org/mailarchive/msg/7621#msg7621>
>>> "GNU-License applies to all extensions of PTViewer, including the
>>> QTVR-extension PTMViewer."
>>>

>> I have always been curious about this: PTViewer is licensed under the
>> GPL, but I think that an applet is conceptually similar to a plugin:
>> something that under Windows is implemented as a DLL. The browser links
>> to the plugin or to the applet.
>> It seems that the GLP requires that code linking to a GPL software must
>> be open-source: to solve this problem there is the LGPL that lets
>> proprietary software link to the library.
>>
>> So, strictly speaking, Internet Explorer should not be allowed to use
>> PTViewer. Maybe PTViewer should have been released under the LGPL.
>>
>> Does anybody have more information about this?
>>

> Hi Fulvio,
>
> you can link and use GPL-software in any way you wish! Restrictions
> only apply if you _distribute_ the software. Then you have to also
> distribute (or otherwise make available) the sources. The user of the
> applet may run it on any Java Runtime he/she wishes, be it open source
> or not!
>
> Using the PTViewer applet on a website or CD obviously qualifies as
> distribution. Using GPL-d applets then requires to either offer the
> sources from your site or supply a download link to some place
> offering the sources. For _unmodified_ versions of PTViewer I have
> waived this particular requirement, so that you can just use it
> without any further action.
>
> As soon as changes are made to the applet (like changing the class
> name etc) the full requirements of the GPL apply and you must supply
> the modified sources together with the applet.
>
> Best regards
>
> Helmut Dersch

Hi Helmut,

thank you for your information. I do not know the terms of the GPL very
well, so I did not know those things.

As you might know, I have released a modified version of PTViewer, based
on your code. To me, users of my version of PTViewer can use the applet
as they like, and I am not interested in requiring anything from them:
no aknowledgement, no link to my site.

Do I need to write this in my website, or am I bound to your terms of
license, so I do not need to explain anything?

Fulvio Senore