Sender:Hans Nyberg
Date/Time:2008-Nov-01 15:02:10
Subject:Re: Some more tests on Optimal Cubefaces.

PanoTools NG: Re: Some more tests on Optimal Cubefaces. Hans Nyberg 2008-Nov-01 15:02:10
--- In #removed#, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@...> wrote:

> --- In #removed#, "Erik Krause" <erik.krause@> wrote:
> >
> > Am Friday, October 31, 2008 um 23:36 schrieb Hans Nyberg:
> >
> > > I have discovered that Pano2VR seems to have problems with downsizing.
> > > The 1904 is softer than the CubicConverter version.
> >
> > This may be due to the fact that Pano2VR uses a non-sharpening anti-
> > aliasing interpolator. On
> > http://wiki.panotools.org/Anti-aliasing_interpolators the Filters
> > with ID 18 and higher are sharpening ones (the deeper the
> > "depression" on both sides of the peak the more).
> >
> > I don't know what kind of interpolator CubicConverter uses, but the
> > result of a not anti-aliased downsize always gives a sharper
> > impression because pixel "jaggies" subjectively look sharper (but
> > increase shimmering in the resulting pano - if the viewer doesn't
> > anti-alias itself).
>
> CubicConverter uses Bicubic which seems to be called Cubic in wiki.

An image says more than.....

Here is a screenshot with movies made from the 8600x4300 test image.
Resized to 1904 cubefaces directly.
From left Pano2VR with different interpolators. Then CubicConverter 1904 and also 1
default 2736. Plus the original image in Photoshop at 100%.
http://www.panoramas.dk/cubefaces/cubefaces-interpolation.jpg

Hans