Sender:Keith Martin
Date/Time:2008-Nov-01 16:16:19
Subject:RE: Re: Some more tests on Optimal Cubefaces.

PanoTools NG: RE: Re: Some more tests on Optimal Cubefaces. Keith Martin 2008-Nov-01 16:16:19
Sometime around 1/11/08 (at 10:59 -0400) Sacha Griffin said:

>I think also a contributing factor here, is jpeg compression. At 1904
>compression artifacts are obscuring destroying details, and at full
>resolution they are less noticeable.

Exactly, and well pointed out!

This is an interesting trade-off that's worth remembering. With very
high resolution images, JPEG damage isn't as noticable simply because
the pixel-level alterations are relatively smaller than with
lower-res images. This is definitely the case in print work, where
high-res can mean *very* high. But it has some bearing on what we do
for panoramas too; in my experience you can frequently use a somewhat
higher compression setting for a higher-res cubeface than for a
lower-res cubeface without ending up with obvious compression damage.

(I don't mean you can make a higher-res cubeface *smaller*, but you
can often get noticably better quality output without dramatically
larger file sizes.)

I think the key phrase here is "your mileage may vary", but I am
reading all posts with great interest in the hope of gleaning further
understanding in this area.

I've also set Pano2VR's default interpolation filder from my previous
choice of Lanczos3 to Blackman/sinc and will run some tests when I
have time.