Sender:Erik Krause
Date/Time:2008-Nov-01 17:36:05
Subject:Re: Some more tests on Optimal Cubefaces.

PanoTools NG: Re: Some more tests on Optimal Cubefaces. Erik Krause 2008-Nov-01 17:36:05
Am Saturday, November 01, 2008 um 15:03 schrieb Philipp B. Koch:

> I'm using Eric Gerds' DOSUP (Pano2Faces.bat) for conversion. As far as I
> know it's using spline64 as interpolator. So do you think I could expect
> good results when applying the "simplified rule of 70" (e.g. divide
> equirectangular image width by 4.5) here? (Good enough to use it as
> standard workflow)?

spline64 isn't an anti-aliasing interpolator hence it's not optimal
for downsizing. You can specify different interpolators on the DOSUP
command line, but it seems to be limited to the "old" panotools
interpolators.

If you have a more recent panotools version (pano12 version 2.7.10 or
newer) you can use the anti-alaising interpolators: open
pano2faces.bat in notepad (or similar text editor) and locate the
lines (numbers 369 and 370 in the current version)

SET interpolate=i4
SET interp=spline64

Change them to

SET interpolate=i19
SET interp=Mitchell

for a neutral or

SET interpolate=i21
SET interp=Lanczos3

for a sharpening anti-aliasing interpolator. The i-numbers correspond
to the ID in http://wiki.panotools.org/Anti-aliasing_interpolators

best regards

--
Erik Krause