Sender:bohonus
Date/Time:2010-Feb-04 11:10:01
Subject:Re: 16bit Panotools Plugin for OS X?

PanoTools NG: Re: 16bit Panotools Plugin for OS X? bohonus 2010-Feb-04 11:10:01

--- In #removed#, Carl von Einem <einem@...> wrote:

> You need to provide more information about your current setup that
> doesn't work with the Panotools plug-ins from kekus.com, did you move to
> OS X 10.6? It seems that those plug-ins (as well as PTMac) are
> completely Carbon-based and won't be available as Cocoa versions.
>
> They still work for me: G5, OS X 10.4, Photoshop 11.0.1 (aka CS4)

I see that Hans has already indicated some of the issues currently. I don't have my G5 anymore. I only have new intel Macs that require the latest OS.

> Posted by: "bohonus"
> >
> > Are there currently any OS X versions of the PanoTools plug-ins
> > working for 16bit files? The Kekus plug-ins I was using for a time
> > stopped working some time ago. They also had issues working with
> > larger images.
>
> How large is large for you?

For correcting equi-rectangulars shot with the fisheye, the max size would be 9,000x18,000

> Maybe this has to do with a conceptual problem of Photoshop's plug-in
> architecture: AFAIK you have to play with prefs -> RAM consumption
> If you assign almost 100% of what Photoshop can actually use (which is a
> joke) there's nothing left for plug-ins.
> I often enough had to reduce to 25%, restart Photoshop, use the plug-in
> and for the next steps (filters...) reassign about 70%, restart
> Photoshop and ...sigh
> Yeah, that "works" sort of.

Yes, I had to do many of types of things previously.

> > I am looking for the "correct" plug-in in particular. I need it
> > for 16bit image corrections that are specific to the scanned
> > panoramic images the Panoscan creates.
>
> So you most probably want to use Shear from the Correct plug-in, right?
> That can be done with hugin: Camera&Lens tab -> g and t parameters
>
> Carl

Actually, I need the "Radial Shift" element of the plug-in. Partially for correcting images shot with the 24mm Mamiya fisheye. See the following link for a description-

http://www.all-in-one.ee/~dersch/pscan/pscan.html

I have other software specifically designed to do the above, however it would be more helpful for my workflow if I can do it in photoshop.

The other reason why I use the Radial Correct function is to correct for CA (which is only in the vertical direction). More so when using the fisheye, much less when using the other lenses that I have for the camera.