Sender:Jim Watters
Date/Time:2007-Nov-28 19:02:55
Subject:Re: motorized panorama head

PanoTools NG: Re: motorized panorama head Jim Watters 2007-Nov-28 19:02:55
Most definitely interested in all the details of this project.  You have
created a sweet little setup.

I have been trying to create my own motorized panhead for sometime.  I
have collected most of the parts and assembled some, but have not put it
all together.  I have several stepper motors and gears that I have
savaged from several old microfiche scanners.  I have done research and
purchased a couple controllers.  I don't have great electronic
knowledge.  I would much rather have an exact shopping list than
reinvent the wheel.

What kind of repeatable accuracy do you get between panoramas? Do you
need to optimize the placement of the images with each batch or are you
able to use a saved script to stitch each set?  Particularly with the
1:14 gear transmission.  I would think that the additional fine tuning
and torque of the gear would be lost with backlash of the added gear.  I
backlash of the gear you used is not listed on the companies website.
Or is the constant unidirectional motion of the panhead remove any
backlash effect?

What is the longest lens that you have tried on this setup?  Or largest
panorama you have created?

I hope to have two interchangeable motors and controllers on my setup.
First, a stepper motor for accuracy and second, a continuous spinning
motor for speed.

Jim

--
Jim Watters